Saturday, May 31, 2008

Starlight Run, and Andrew drives!

Last night, Mali was up at the school with her friends and played some basketball wearing flip-flops. She crashed into Hannah and hurt her toe - possibly broke it. We will check it again tomorrow. She really wanted to run the Starlight Run tonight, so we walked down the hill to the Verizon store to see how it would handle that. It did okay, but then we walked to the nearby church where Andrew was driving with Susy!!! I had Mali jog a short distance, and her toe started hurting, and she was very mad that she wouldn't get to do the run.
Andrew was driving home from the church when we got there, so we called and they turned back and picked us up. He had already been pulled over by a police car - his first time on a street! - But the Police just wanted to get around him, and sped off after he pulled over. He did fine, driving. He can't drive with more than one person - a licensed driver - until he's driven for 100 hours.

I did the Starlight Run without Mali, who stayed home with Susy and Andrew. I ran it with Paul, Zoë, and Hannah, until Hannah cramped up. Zoë and I finished together at 33:37, so about 11 minutes a mile (5k = ~3.1 miles). Hannah was able to start running again after a couple minutes of walking with her mom, who then ran the rest of the way with her, while Paul ran ahead. It was great fun! I must have high-fived a hundred little kids, sticking their hands out to the runners. The 70's theme was great - unfortunately Zoë and I were at the same pace as the girl dressed as a Rubik's cube, which was announced to the crowd loudly at every intersection with a tv camera or a radio show going on. The girls wore tie-died stuff, and Mali gave me tie-died leg-warmers she made, and I wore them on my arms. I also wore a fisherman's hat with my number pinned to it, but that was the extent of my dress-up. There were some pretty wild costumes, and at least one very pregnant lady running barefoot. Lots of little kids too, younger than Hannah, even some 4 and 5 year-olds!

No comments: