Friday, March 14, 2008

Crazy Day, Part Four: Evening

5:00 -
The first birthday party guest arrives. The invitation said 6:00.
We were slightly forewarned, courtesy of Hannah, that there were 18 kids expected, counting Mali. We ended up with a total of 16. More than a critical mass.
5:20 -
Second and Third birthday guest arrive. Mali ducks out the back with Andrew and Rian.
5:30 -
I leave to pick up the pizza.
5:55 -
I return with pizza. All but one of the guests are now here, including Hannah who feared she would be late. Rachel and Mari-Faye have arrived with decorations, which are going up. The boys are already out-of-hand.
6:05 -
Mali shows up with Rian. The obligatory "Surprise" is called. Mali looks truly stunned.
6:20 -
Entire crowd disappears upstairs to play Truth or Dare. Andrew and Rian go with them to chaperon. Peace is felt in the kitchen. Susy has a glass of port. I open a bottle of wine. Pizza is checked. Pizzas are shuffled as one appears to catch on fire briefly. We haven't cooked three at a time before. I leave with Moose to give him a break and get the mail.
6:30 -
I return with Moose, there is pandemonium in the kitchen as they have descended en masse to have pizza and pop. Susy is dishing up pizza, a bit frazzled.
7:00 -
Andrew and Rian lead the crowd three at a time through Twister games. The best $20 $40 $50 I ever spent, having them help.
7:45 -
The scavenger hunt / task challenge (ice cream race, boys make-up, girls pushups, etc) begins. It is very loud. Andrew and Rian attempt to maintain order.
8:00 -
Still loud. I am hiding in my office. Very, very loud.
8:15 -
Kids depart for the school, Andrew and Rian attending. It is very quiet. I will leave soon to facilitate the round up.

No comments: