Friday, March 28, 2008

Philipsburg, St. Maarten, Dutch Antilles

Today we docked in Philipsburg St. Maarten.
I woke up early and tried out the track. It's very nice, and I managed to run two miles (WooHoo!)
The kids decided to join us in town today to search for gifts for their friends. We shopped for awhile, then ended up at a nice beach spot. Andrew found some stone turtles and T-shirts for his friends, and Mali found some odds and ends for the people on her list. I found a bunch of fake Nike shirts that were cheap and seemingly relatively well made. Susy found an Australian opal ring she liked, as we went into many, many jewelry stores.
Each store seemed to have a nice Indian guy that we met, and they were all from Bombay and knew each other. I found my watch for $40 cheaper, so I got it written on a business card so I could show it to the Indian guy from Bombay on the ship who sold it to us, so he could reduce the price still further.
The kids got some beach time and Susy camped out on a beach chair while I walked around the city some more. A waiter told Susy she had to pay $10 for the chair - instead she moved into the welcoming shelter of Bamboo Bernie's immediately behind her, and used her $10 on a frothy drink. I returned and joined her in a few more. The kids had their share too, but without the alcohol.

On the ship we had another great dinner with our friends from Puerto Rico, and the girls came by the room and took Andrew and Mali up to the Latin dance party outside at the pool so they could teach them the Merengue. I was hoping to go too, but exhaustion kicked in. The kids (apparently) made it to bed around 1:00.
Inside Bamboo Bernie's
The view from Bamboo Bernie's

No comments: